Wednesday, August 22, 2018

A Workshop of Our Own

Hi!

A year or more ago, a workshop "for women and gender non-conforming furniture makers" called A Workshop of Our Own (WOO!) opened right by our apartment. They did an Idiegogo fundraiser before they opened and I donated and received class credit in return so I could take classes there!

I was FINALLY able to take one last week and it was so much fun! I took the Carve Your Own Spoon class, a three-hour class offered there monthly. It was taught by Sarah Marriage, a furniture maker and the founder of WOO! It's close enough to our apartment that I could have walked but I'm really glad I didn't because there was a huge thunderstorm that started the second I got inside!

The workshop is huge! Alex and I had walked there once when they had an open house to check it out but this was the first time I really got to look around. I also found my name on the wall! They wrote everybody's name in the shape of "WOO!" who donated to their fundraiser and I'm in the exclamation point, which is perfect!



There were three of us in the class and our spoons all turned out amazing and different. After Sarah taught us about the tools we'd be using and showed us some examples of spoons she and other people had made, we started with a block of wood.

  

We drew and carved the bowl part of the spoon first, then drew how we wanted the handle to look. We used a band saw to cut the sides to the right shape, and then we used it to trim off the bottom.

  




After that, we used files, small knives, an electric sander, and sand paper to get it smooth! I think this was my favorite part. I love smoothing things out haha :) At the end we put cutting board oil on them.



I made a spoon! Can you believe it??
  




I love it so much!!
  

  
Here we are with our finished products! I can't wait to go back and take another class there! I grew up building things with my grandpa and in high school I took wood shop, but it had been a really long time since I'd made anything with wood. Especially while we live so close (and before the baby comes!) I want to take more classes there! If you live in Baltimore and you haven't taken a class there yet, you should!!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment