Wednesday, August 29, 2018

Domesticity Fabric Store

Hi!

A
n
adorable fabric store opened in Baltimore called Domesticity and they offer classes there! The owner, Christina, is just the nicest, and so are all of the teachers and people who work there. They sell the most adorable fabric, including Rifle Paper Co., a brand that I have loved for years!


I grew up doing sewing projects with my aunt, but I really haven't sewn by myself before now. I was so excited when I saw that Domesticity was opening and would have sewing classes!


I've taken a few classes there, bought a lot of fabric, and gone to a couple of their Sewcials. Oh, and that's also where I bought my sewing machine!


The first class I took was Let's Get You Sewing. We learned all of the basics of the machine and sewing and we each made an adorable linen tote bag.




Here I am using my cute bag last week!


Next I took a Mini Quilt class. I'm terrible and haven't finished mine yet (oops) but I will and the quilts we made are so cute! They are the perfect size for a little wall hanging.




Here is everybody's cute mini quilt (before adding on the binding around the edge).


Now that I think about it, I need to finish it asap and hang it up near the baby's area in our room!


There is a quilt-along going on now and anybody anywhere can participate. The name of the quilt is the Riptide Quilt. At the beginning they sent us a worksheet to help us decide how to arrange our colors/fabrics. I used my iPad Pro to figure out just how I wanted mine to look. We also got a schedule to keep us on track (which I didn't stick to, but that's ok!). I bought all of my fabric, the quilt book, and a clear triangle ruler, used to make all of the blocks/rows, from Domesticity.


The pattern is for a very large quilt and since it's my first one and it's pretty complicated, I decided a couple of weeks ago that I would make mine smaller instead. I had three of the rows done at the original width, so I shortened those and made the rest in the smaller size. Seven rows, each with seven of the non-background triangles. I finished my quilt top last week!




Since a lot of people are participating, there is a hashtag:

#riptideqal (check it out on Instagram and Facebook!)

It's so fun to see how everybody's quilts are turning out! Looking through them is what helped me decide to make mine smaller. Someone who had already finished theirs made it small and it looked so adorable I had to copy!


If you live in Baltimore and you like to sew, or want to learn how, or just need to buy a bunch of super adorable fabric, you should def visit Domesticity! Here's a cute pic from the last Sewcial I went to.




Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you have found Domesticity!!! It sounds like such a great sewing store!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too!! We have to go there the next time you visit!

      Delete