Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Sharp Objects - Book Review

Hi!

I mentioned a few days ago that I finished reading Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn!  


I got the book free with a $35+ purchase on Birchbox :)  Love a free book!  In case you haven't read it yet, I'll write this so there are no spoilers!!


I loved this book!  It's similar to Gone Girl in that it's suspenseful and creepy and a page-turner, but it's written from only one character's point of view.  The main character, Camille, is a Chicago newspaper reporter who has an assignment in her hometown, Wind Gap, where she hasn't been in eight years.  Her mom lives there (in the house where she and Camille both grew up) with Camille's awkward step-dad and her much younger half-sister she hardly knows.  Camille doesn't have a great relationship with any of them, or anyone else in her hometown, really.  The assignment she has to report on is about two separate murder cases, both involving young girls from Wind Gap.

I would say this book is a little less suspenseful than Gone Girl, just because in Gone Girl you really don't know what happened until about the middle of the book!  But I liked reading this book just as much (and it is still super suspenseful!).  It's interesting to see how Camille interacts with all of these people that she went to school with, their mothers, and other people that live in Wind Gap.  You get to hear some about their past from what Camille remembers about them.  Camille has a very hard time being back in her hometown and you read about her psychological problems from the past and how they come into the present.

I loved this book and I can't wait to read Dark Places!  My mom got that book with a Birchbox purchase, too!  While I was googling all of the books to put the links on here, I saw that Dark Places is going to be a movie in 2015 and that Sharp Objects might be a TV show!  Cool!


Thanks for reading!

4 comments:

  1. I am reading Dark Places... Kinda scary!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahh I'm excited to read it! During daylight hours hehehe

      Delete
  2. I loved Sharp Objects and Dark Places! But yeah, def read Dark Places with the light on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yeah!! As I got further into Sharp Objects I stopped reading it before bed!

      Delete