Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Crockpot Applesauce Recipe

Hi!

A while ago I found a recipe on Pinterest for Easy Crockpot Applesauce (posted on the Frugal Girls website) and I finally tried it!  It's such an easy recipe, our apartment smelled wonderful while it was cooking, and there's almost no sugar in it, which is good!!  I eat too much sugar :)




Here's their recipe:

Ingredients:
Six medium apples (I used Gala apples, and they were pretty huge)
1/2 cup water
1 tsp - 1 tbsp cinnamon (I used 1/2 tbsp)
1 tsp sugar (this can be adjusted based upon the sweetness of the apples you use)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
Crockpot

Directions:
Peel and core apples
Chop up into chunky pieces
Place apples in crockpot
In a separate bowl, combine water, cinnamon, sugar, and vanilla
Pour mixture over apples in crockpot, and stir around, so apples are evenly coated
Cover crockpot, and cook on low for four hours or until soft 
Once apples are soft, remove from crockpot and mash with hand masher
This will make a chunky style applesauce
For creamier applesauce, mix with hand mixer (that's what I did!)

Makes about six servings









We had the apples in the crockpot on low for about four hours and then turned it to warm for about two more hours (I had improv rehearsal in the middle of the cooking!).  Then I put them into a bowl and used our Cuisinart Hand Blender to make it super smooth!





It is so yummy!!  It's tastes almost like there's cream or something in it (probably because of the vanilla, and because I blended it a lot)!  I would say the six apples made about six servings, so cost wise it's more than buying a six-pack of applesauce from the grocery store, but it's much more fun (and healthy, I'm sure), so I definitely want to keep making it!

The recipe says that it keeps well in the refrigerator for four or five days, and it freezes well for up to several months!

Especially now that it's getting warmer, this is a yummy cold snack to have during the day!  I think it would be fun to try adding other fruit to it sometime, like strawberries!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment